Teaching Physical Education and Sports Coaching provides a concise introduction to the principles of physical education. The book traces the role of physical education and sport in the holistic development of learners, with a particular focus on the South African context.
- A concise introduction to the principles and theoretical framework of exercise science.
- Essential practical skills which equip teachers with the teaching of Physical Education, including basic first aid skills.
- Photos and illustrations to demonstrate the correct techniques involved in specific exercises.
- Debate boxes including potential controversial issues, for example, the role of carbohydrates versus a Banting diet in sports training.
- Age-related activities which are aligned with subtopics outlined in CAPS.
Part 1: Theory of physical education
1A historical account of physical education in South Africa
2Physical education, sport and the law
3Basic anatomy and physiology
4Managing sports injuries and safety issues
5Growth and development
6Inclusive physical education
7Basic sport nutrition, performance enhancing substances and anti-doping education
8Psychological preparation in physical education and sport
Part 2: Practice of physical education and sports
9Physical education and sports coaching methodologies
10Principles of training and conditioning
11Teaching sports skills
13Assessing physical education and sports skills
14Measurement and evaluation
B.Ed and PGCE students taking modules in physical education methodology or the physical education component of life orientation methodology.